Monday, April 6, 2009

Cajun red beans and rice

I love to cook and would much prefer to eat something homemade then made from a box. Homemade food tastes better to me and my family and a lot of the time the meals are healthier and less expensive than their store made, processed counterparts. Make It Yourself Monday gives me a chance to experiment with some recipes that I might not have tried before.

Before my husband and I had our kids and we were both working outside of the home, dinner was always a struggle to pull together and I made a lot of boxed red beans and rice as a side dish. Honestly we loved it and it was easy to make, but the sodium was too high for us, so I stopped buying the boxed rice mixes. When I saw this recipe for Cajun Red beans and rice in Cooking Light a few months ago, I was interested in trying it because we missed the boxed version. The recipe calls for chicken andouille sausage links, but I used turkey sausage instead because I always have that on hand.




We really liked this dish. My 3 year old gobbled it up. It was also very easy to make and very hearty.

If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also like:

This post is linked to Carnival of Super Foods - beans and legume edition at Kitchen Stewardship.

Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. If you don't already receive FBS free updates, please click here to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.