Monday, June 15, 2009

Pick-your-own strawberries



Do your taste buds a favor and go to a local strawberry patch...go immediately. If you're in the northeast like we are, the season is probably winding down. Unfortunately strawberry season is short, but oh-so-sweet.


I went two weeks ago and picked 12 quarts. This past weekend was pretty jammed packed, but I made sure to squeeze in time to go one last time and I picked another 8 quarts. Our local PYO strawberry patch charges $1.30 a pound. Compared to trucked-in strawberries from the west coast at $2.00-$2.50/lb.


Basically I am up to my eyeballs in strawberries. We have eaten strawberry shortcake, strawberry spinach salad, strawberry cheesecake trifle, and strawberries on our cereal and ice cream. And we still aren't sick of them. I have also made 2 batches of freezer jelly. I use the Ball No Cook freezer jelly. Very easy to make and oh-so-yummy to eat. I cleaned the remaining berries and bagged them to put in the freezer for a later time for homemade strawberry ice cream and smoothies.


Have you picked strawberries this season? Do you have any recipes to share?

Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. If you don't already receive FBS free updates, please click here to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.