Monday, October 12, 2009

How to Make Homemade Sugar-Free Applesauce

Home-made applesauce is family favorite. I don't mind making it because it is very easy to make, especially when you use a mix of fall apples the only ingredient that you need is ... Apples. On a recent trip to a local apple and pumpkin farm I bought two 1/2 bushel bags of seconds for $8.00 a bag. A 1/2 bushel bag of regular apples was $12, but when I saw that the seconds were in really good condition, it was a no-brainer. So I sorted through the bins and my kids helped me fill the bags full with Ginger Gold, Yellow Delicious, Honey Crisp, Gala, McIntosh, Fuji, Jonagold.

I brought them home and got started on the applesauce right away. I also made a pie, but it was gobbled up before I thought about taking a picture.

I have to admit my way of making applesauce is made easier because of this handy gadget, a food strainer and sauce maker. It is a hand-me-down from my mom and it makes the job easy and fast. If you see one at a yard sale or thrift store, it might be worth your investment, as the price sticker is still on this box at $47.95.



Because of my food strainer, all I have to do is wash the apples and cut them into quarters. I don't have to peel or worry about the seeds...you'll see why below. I put a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the pans so that the apples don't scorch and then I cover and cook on medium until they are mushy. Stir often to also avoid scorching.


You can still see some of the slices, but most of what I was putting into the funnel was mushy.



I didn't get a great shot of the whole contraption, but I put apples in the funnel that is in above picture and then I turn the handle (on the right) and applesauce just slides through a screen and right down into the bowl.

The funnel on the right of the picture is the waste funnel. All of the skin and seeds are pushed through that funnel and into my garbage bowl.


This is a picture of the peels and I put them through the strainer one more time and reduced this waste even more as I squeeze out more applesauce.


My finished applesauce. I let it cool and then put into freezer containers. We eat it all year long. I also use it in baking. I went back to the farm and I bought another 1/2 bushel bag and made more sauce. My daughter was invited to a birthday party next weekend at the same farm and I'm sure I'll get another bag or 2 to make even more.

I think the secret to making delicious applesauce is using a blend of your favorite apples. This sauce didn't need an ounce of sugar because I used a blend of 7 apples that range from sweet to tart. In the past I always used Ginger Gold, because that is my favorite apple for pies, but when using them for applesauce I felt it needed a little sugar in to sweeten a bit.

Do you make your own applesauce? What are your favorite apples to use?

Thanks for reading
FamilyBalanceSheet. If you don't already receive FBS free updates, please click here to sign up.

This post is linked to:

photos: familybalancesheet.org


15 comments:

  1. Gosh, you are a better woman/mother than me! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I don't make my own applesauce but probably would if I had a contraption like that. I love that you use so many variations to leave out the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome and inspiring. Thanks for linking up at Momtrends. I tweeted your recipe. Are you on twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son only likes freshly made applesauce. He doesn't like applesauce from the store. This was a good reminder to me that it is time to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the comments.

    Nicole - Thanks for tweeting my post. I am not currently on twitter, but probably should get out of the ice age and join in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to make applesauce! Thanks for sharing your recipe and technique with us. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We really love homemade applesauce. You're looks so yummy... and I know your house smelled fantastic!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! I have a Champion juicer to make apple juice, but I'm going to keep my eye out for one of those contraptions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tool. I would love to come across one so there would be no more coring and peeling! I would love for you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! My mom has a nice strainer/press like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did make applesauce for my son once, but it took so much time and for such a small return. I haven't made it since, but yours looks fabulous. I will have to look into getting a strainer like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that gadget! I always find that adding lots of cinnamon helps reduce the sweetener needs, too!

    Thank you so much for joining the October Fest Carnival of Super Foods! This week is the last week, and the theme is Healthy Fats. See you then!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...this looks wonderful and your tool sure does make it looks ultra easy! I think your post will surely trigger an onslot of searches for one. Thanks for sharing your easy applesauce technique...and freezing it. Have you canned it and if so, any special requirements for that? Just curious...

    Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Seasons of Life - I have never canned the applesauce before. I have only frozen it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.