Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tackle That Tough Spot - The Home Office



It has been a few weeks since I've tackled, but we had another blizzard this week, so I had some free time as I was stranded inside my home. I baked more cookies and I tackled...my office.

Last year, when I wrote Is Clutter Costing You Cash?, I showed this picture of my home office in the post.
Sadly, a year later, nothing much has changed.


While the blizzard was causing havoc on the roads and power grids, it gave me a chance to clean up my act and organize my office.


I even had time to clean out the filing cabinet. I filled a box of old receipts, statements, papers, and bills to send to the shredder. I organized my files and labeled the drawers. In this drawer, all of our financial files are neat, tidy and in order by Assets, Insurance, Liabilities and Legal Documents.


I even cleaned out and organized the drawers.




Whew, I can cross that task off of my to-do list.

What tough spot have you tackled lately?

Check out the previous Tackle That Tough Spot posts:

Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. If you don't already receive FBS free updates, please click here to sign up.

This post is linked to:

6 comments:

  1. My desk is deffinately the tough spot in my house! No matter how many times I organize it and clear it off, it winds up back in the same condition days later. It shows that what I really need is a permanent and efficient oranizaion system and scheduled plan of keeping it that way! Papers need a permanent filing place, and the shredder needs to be accesable and always plugged in. I also need to finish organizing where the art supplies, pens and pencils, stapler, etc., are going to go. I promised my husband that I would keep my desk and schoolwork bookshelves organized if he let me move them into the living room and I need to keep my promise!

    You have a beautiful desk, and I wish you luck keeping yours organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a clean office! Doesn't it feel good when you are done...thanks for the inspiration to straighten up mine. My computer is in a cabinet in our kitchen...it is hard to keep it neat and tidy because my work often spills over to the kitchen island! LOL! But, it can be done! I enjoy your blog...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I have been chomping at the bit to get mine cleaned up! I am in the throes of nesting with a little one due this spring. I haven't been able to even put paid bills away since my 16 month old has learned how to open the file drawers and empty all my files!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to start a home biz for quite a while. But my "office" was weighing so heavily on me, I had to get that organized before I could start my biz. So for my birthday, 2 good friends came to spend the day with me and helped me clean & organize. I didn't take any "before" pics, I was too embarrassed. But I wrote a blog post on the "after" here: http://lonestarlifer.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/the-30-day-giving-challenge-day-16/. That day literally gave me the energy & inspiration to start my biz and I formally announced it on my blog last week: http://lonestarlifer.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/announcing-snail-mail-notes/. Yeah for friends and a clean office!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. I posted the office, so now I have to maintain it.

    Audra - congrats on your spring baby! I have trouble too keeping my kids away from my desk.

    Lonestarlifer - congrats on you new biz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow. Look at that! Paper clutter is the WORST, and yes indeed, it has cost me in late fees, missed rebates, etc. I just cleaned off my desk today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.