Thursday, June 10, 2010

U-Pick Strawberries: Buy Local, Save Money & Enjoy

For me, the anticipation of the local strawberry season is like the feeling I get right before Christmas. I am full of excitement and impatience all at once. The season is short, so I can’t wait for it to come and I want to savor the moment once it is here.

In my area, strawberry season is here and it might even be dwindling down in some parts…boohoo

And my Topsy-Turvy Strawberry planter has just a few green berries.


So what is a girl to do…head to the U-Pick strawberry patch, where the local berries are bursting, full of flavor and at my patch only $1.40 a pound.


I have gone twice so far and picked 8 quarts each time. I am also going to go to our CSA’s u-pick day this Saturday.

Aside from just popping them in our mouths, we have had strawberry shortcake for dessert (and maybe for breakfast too), we have added strawberries to our breakfasts and our salads, I have made 2 batches of freezer jam, and I have filled 2 gallon-sized bags for the freezer. I’ll use those for ice cream and smoothies long after the season is over and local, fresh berries are a distant memory.

Right now, I am going to go pop a few more in my mouth and savor this season for just a few more days.

Do you go to the U-Pick strawberry patch? What price do you pay for berries at your patch?


Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS through your RSS Feed, please click here to sign up. Or sign up for FREE email updates, by submitting your email address in the top left side of this site. Or click here to follow on Twitter.

This post is linked to:

1 comment:

  1. We picked strawberries Memorial Day weekend. The season is over for us now :(. I did freeze some and made strawberry butter. The strawberry butter is awesome! It is just a strawberry puree with a little sugar (a lot less than jam) cooked down to thicken. It is very tasty! Thanks for linking up your post today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.