Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Family Camping...and A Lesson Learned


Apparently we broke a cardinal rule of camping this past weekend: Don’t leave food unattended.

My family and I set out on an adventure. We went camping for the first time to a real campsite for 3 days and 2 nights. We have slept in our tent before at my grandmother’s summer cottage, but we always had the cottage and it’s amenities as backup.

With the menu planned and the van (& cargo carrier) packed, we headed forty minutes away to a campsite nestled in a wooded area and very close to an amusement park.

Aside from leaving my sleeping bag and our blow up mattresses at home, the weekend was looking to be a fun one on Friday night as we fell asleep. But at 6:30 am Saturday it had started to rain and it continued to pour until 6:30 that evening.

We moped around the tent in the morning, but after lunch we headed to an indoor children’s gym with several ball pits and a huge jungle gym. On the way back to the campsite, we stopped for dinner as it was still raining and I was in no mood to grill in the rain.

But by the time we got back to the campsite, the rain had stopped and the campground was abuzz as everyone was anxious to get outside.

As my husband was starting the fire, I noticed something in the corner of my eye.

“Well that does not look right”, I thought to myself.

Apparently we left some crackers…and bread…and okay, we left a blueberry pie on our picnic table that was just too tempting for some local critters. And rather than unzip the tent like a civilized human would do, the critters ate through our brand new screened in tent and feasted like kings.

It was a mistake that screams “newbie”, but it was a lesson learned.

As we were cleaning up and putting away our gear when we got home, I noticed a little present that a critter left for me in one of our plastic cups…the aftermath of all of that pie. I guess he wanted to remind me who was the king in his forest.

Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS through your RSS Feed, please click here to sign up. Or Subscribe by Email. Are you on Twitter? Click here to receive updates via Twitter.

This post is linked to:

10 comments:

  1. OH No!! I'm glad you had a good time, anyway. We went camping a few months ago and it rained on us. We didn't put the cover over the tent and it started raining in the middle of the night. We slept through it and woke up soaking wet! Lessons....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Well, you'll certainly remember that camping trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL We had the same experience here the first time we went camping. Except here the raccoons OPEN up your coolers and rummage around. Now we always close our coolers with bungee cords.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those little reminders. I remember those newbie mistakes. LOL. Makes it memorable for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we made a mistake like that here in the rocky mountains and a bear tore up the cooler and scatter stuff all over and was seen sitting on our picnic table. We know better...but in a big group of people...someone forgot to do their job....oops

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I can't believe they ate through the screen. Wow! Exactly why I don't camp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops! If it makes you feel any better, I would have been DONE with the whole trip once I knew I forgot my air mattress. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So we were camping n a leato once (like a small 3-sided cabin). We left a box of food for breakfast near the entrance by the foot of my cot. Well, in the middle of the night I had a burglar-looking creature right by my bed trying to take the bread. I never jumped so quickly in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say I just found your site the other day and I have been laughing my head off.. We went camping for the first time this past weekend and the pic of your screened in room crossed my mind several times!

    Sue in NJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.