Monday, August 30, 2010

Zucchini Cakes or AKA, Vegetarian "Crab" Cakes

This is a great recipe for all of that extra zucchini that you might have. The recipe is from our CSA and was included in our weekly share of organic produce. The sandwich reminds me of a real crab cake, only the main ingredient is zucchini instead of crab.


Zucchini cakes or Vegetarian "Crab" Cakes
  • 4 C zucchini, grated with peel on
  • 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 C Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, set aside additional breadcrumbs for coating
  • 2-3 teas. Old Bay seasoning - I only used 2 because I didn't want the cakes to be too spicy for my kids.
  • 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped fine
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

1. Mix all of the ingredients together.



2. Form into patties. If the mixture isn't forming well, add more bread crumbs. Makes 7-8 patties.


3. Coat each side of cake with additional breadcrumbs.



4. Heat 1/4 Cup olive oil in large skillet. Carefully place cakes in skillet. Fry the cake and when it turns golden brown, flip and fry the other side until golden brown. Depending on the size of your pan, you will have to make the cakes in batches and you might need more olive oil.


5. I served the sandwiches the way we like real crab cakes, with tomatoes, lettuce, a little mayo and on our favorite buns. Enjoy!


Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. Click here if you would like to have FREE updates of FBS sent right to your email.

This post is linked to:



6 comments:

  1. I've got lots of zucchini cakes in my freezer right now.
    My recipe didn't have the additional bread crumbs around the outside- I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about freezing...great idea.

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! Will need to give it a try.
    ~Dorcas
    http://4sweetangels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum! These sound delish! I love fried zucchini but haven't ever tried zucchini cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can anyone tell me about the nutritional value as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.