Monday, November 15, 2010

How To Thaw a Frozen Turkey

Welcome to Turkey Week at Family Balance Sheet. We will be thawing, roasting, making gravy and stock and of course eating. Enjoy!

There are two ways to thaw a turkey.
  1. Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator. Leave the turkey in its packaging and place in a pan. Trust me on this. Place the turkey in a pan. I did not do this and when I removed turkey from he fridge, I had a stream of blood from my fridge to my sink before I realized what had happened.

    It takes about 1 day for every 4 pounds of turkey to thaw in the refrigerator. This online calculator will also tell you how long you need to thaw the turkey in the fridge depending on size of turkey.
  2. If you forgot to get the turkey out of the freezer in time, you can thaw the turkey in cold water. Leave the turkey in its packaging and place breast side down in the kitchen sink and cover completely with cold water. Change the water frequently as it starts to warm. It takes about 30 minutes per pound to thaw this way. Use this online calculator to determine estimated time for thawing.
REMEMBER it is not safe to thaw the turkey at room temperature due to bacterial concerns.

Enjoy all of the posts from Turkey Week 2010:
Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS through your RSS Feed, please click here to sign up. Or Subscribe by Email.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.