Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Most Special Christmas Ornament


In 1980, when I was 11 years old...okay did I just admit my age...anyway, my great-grandmother, known as Grammy, handmade me this crocheted Christmas ornament.

My Grammy was a crafter, seamstress, and crocheter and she always made her gifts. I still have the clothes that she made for my Barbie dolls when I was a young girl. Unfortunately the crafty gene didn't trickle down to me. I think it stopped at my mother.

Every year when I take out this ornament, I think of her. It is my most favorite Christmas ornament. I am so glad I heeded my mother's advice and kept the handwritten gift tag. This ornament takes a special place towards the top of our tree, so little, inquiring hands can't reach it.



...and yes, that is a fake tree in the background...

What is your most special Christmas ornament? Let us know in the comments.


If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:

This post is linked to:

3 comments:

  1. Depends on the category.

    My most special ones are for my three daughters who died. My set of twins each have Waterford Crystal ornaments, and my singleton has a blown glass ornament,

    I have a set of blown glass ornaments that hubby and I bought as newlyweds. We both remember the craft fair we bought them at.

    And I have silver rocking horses for each of my kids....I love those too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special story and a special ornament! Thanks for sharing! As for me, chosing my favorite ornament is too hard. I have so many that mean something to me. If they don't have a special memory, well, they've gone to a better home. I might pick the olive wood ornament that I got when my parents took me to Isreal when I was 12. Or I might pick the set of hand stitched Christmas ornaments a friend made for us as a gift for our first married Christmas. Or I could pick the small red glass ornament that belonged to my great grandmother whom I never met. I could keep going...but I think I would have to pick the ornament I made this year. It was so simple, but I love it. I got a small ornament with the year on it from Michaels and added a picture of my husband and I in front of our tree before we cut it down. That year, that tree - great memories. :-)

    By the way, if my math is right, you're the age of my sister who turned 13 just two months after I was born in Dec. of '81. She was born in Feb. of '69 (the youngest of my four older siblings - yes, I was a big surprise!). Every year is a gift - celebrate it! :-)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you still have the handwritten tag on it. What a treasure! (Your Mom sounds like one smart cookie.)

    What a sweet ornament too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.