Monday, February 21, 2011

Banana Oatmeal Muffins


If you have over-ripe bananas that no one wants to touch, this is a great recipe to make and have for those 'grab-n-go' mornings. You know those mornings, where you need to eat something, but there is no time to make breakfast for yourself or your family.

This is also a great freezer recipe.

Banana Oatmeal Muffins
adapted from Cooking Light
  • 1 ½ cups flour
  • ⅔ cup sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ baking soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¾ regular oats
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas - about 2-3
  • ⅓ cup buttermilk (don’t have buttermilk - add 1 tsp white vinegar to ⅓ cup regular milk, I use 2%, and let the milk sit for a few minutes)
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
  • cooking spray

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oats. Stir with a spoon or wisk to mix together.

In a separate bowl, combine the bananas, milk, oil, vanilla extract and eggs. Add the dry ingredients. Stir until just moist.

Pour batter into a 12-muffin pan that has been coated with cooking spray. If desired, sprinkle muffin batter with the nuts.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or when a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

Makes 12 muffins.

Print recipe for Banana Oatmeal Muffins.

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:


This post is linked to:

5 comments:

  1. I have several overripe bananas that are sitting on my counter. I've been telling my family that I was going to be baking banana bread this past weekend but didn't get around to it. But now that I've seen this post I'm making these muffins for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love recipes using overripe bananas. I always have some that are in my freezer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Found you from a Tasty Tuesday link up! I was intrigued by these muffins as I posted Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins today. I assume it is 1/4 CUP of oil in these? They look great and I will put this in my "To Try" binder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lilianna Grace for alerting me of my typo. It is a 1/4 cup. I'll have to go check out your muffin recipe. I still have a lot of homemade applesauce in the freezer to use.

    @Elizabeth & @Sherry ~ Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banana Oatmeal Muffins...yum! Would love it it you would link up to our Muffin Monday and share your recipe. Hope to see you there! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.