Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How Do You Cope With The Cold Weather Blues?


I've been in a funk lately.

I'm having trouble focusing and concentrating on a particular task at hand. I've been grouchy lately and my poor husband has taken the brunt of it. I'm even getting bored with my winter meals of soups, chilies, and casseroles. Our grill is covered in ice right now and grilling when it is dark and 25 degrees outside is not that appealing either.

I'm still eating normally (for me), sleeping well and I have kept up with my exercise routine, so I'm not terribly concerned that it is a real depression. I went through a depression in my mid to late 20's that affected my appetite, sleep patterns and energy levels. Therapy and joining a gym helped me considerably back then.

Could my funk be from the weather?
The weather outside has been so cold and frigid and I feel like we haven't seen the sun in the northeast since November.

We are ready for spring. I'm starting to get gardening catalogs and my mood brightens up when I find them in my mailbox. The sun poked through for about an hour on Monday and I took my kids outside to ride their bikes on the sidewalk. It was 29 degrees.

Just looking at this picture, brings a smile to my face.


I think I'm going to start planning my gardens. I know I won't be able to plant anything for several weeks, but maybe just looking through my books and magazines will remind me that warmer days are coming.

I'm also going to spend this upcoming weekend looking through my cookbooks and Cooking Light magazines for inspiration and new ideas for my meals. It's time to change things up a bit.

I'm also going to get some 5ks and 10ks on my calendar. A college friend is trying to talk me into running a half-marathon with her in July. I haven't committed yet, but that summer goal might help me see past this cold weather too.

Are you feeling any cold weather blues? How are you coping with it? Please share any strategies with us in the comments.

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:


** I am not a medical professional, so please consult your medical professional if you feel like your 'funk' is a more serious issue.

1 comment:

  1. Here in Rochester NY it's always cold and dreary all winter. I started taking vitamin D supplements to help, and so far they have worked.

    Also - even though its COLD, it is getting sunnier, and so we bundle up and go for long walks.

    But the biggest thing is planning the garden. I know I have to wait until May to plant much of anything, but I'm planning what I want to grow, and how much, and when I need to start the seeds... it's so much fun!

    Good luck battling the funk!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.