Friday, April 22, 2011

Celebrating Our Earth One Change At A Time


Happy Earth Day 2011!

I remember my first Earth Day celebration. It was back in 1989 and I was a college sophomore. My Biology II class went on a field trip to Pittsburgh's Earth Day celebration. It was in downtown Pittsburgh at a park where the three rivers meet, if I remember correctly. There weren't a lot of people walking around, mostly hippies and college students. Earth Day has come a long way.

I have come a long way too. From composting and saving rain water to using cloth napkins and reusable grocery bags, I have made many changes in my life over the last 20 years. When I was a college sophomore, I didn't even know how to cook scrambled eggs, let alone grow my own food.

Honestly, most of the change for me has transpired in the past 10 years, not 20 years. Buying our home, having children, and trying to become debt free have all had a hand in encouraging me to be a better steward of the environment.

But I'm not perfect. I have forgotten my reusable grocery bags as recently as yesterday. I still use Comet to clean my toilets. And I gave up on cloth diapers as soon as my babies started eating solid food. (I couldn't stop gagging.) But I do the best I can and I am better at it now than I was 20, 10 and even 5 years ago. Some changes take time to make and some become routine rather quickly.

Some of the changes that I have made over the years:



What changes have you made over the years to be a better steward of the environment? Let us know in the comments.

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:



Image: Idea go / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

3 comments:

  1. Was it Buhl's (sp?) Science Center? I grew up in Bloomfield and that was one of my favorite places to go as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - I only remember that it was an outdoor festival and it was downtown. I think it was by the water where the 3 rivers meet???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the changes you've made. visited your water saver list...I also capture the water that might otherwise go down the drain. why not? I already paid for it! look forward to seeing more of your blog. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.