Thursday, July 14, 2011

Freezing Green Beans


If you aren't growing green beans, you might want to consider it. They are the gift that keeps on giving.

I planted 4 squares worth in my square foot garden and we have had them twice for dinner so far. I just put 5 cups in my freezer and many young beans are still on the plants.

I wasn't always a huge fan of green beans. Just ask my mom about the arguments we used to have about them when I was ten. But as I got older, I discovered that I actually like them when they aren't over-cooked and still have a crispy texture to them.

I have also discovered that I prefer slender green beans compared to the fatter ones. Last year, I grew purple green beans because I thought my kids would think they were cool. They turned from purple to green when they were cooked. They were fun, but I didn't care for the texture and taste.

Because we have more than we care to eat at the moment, I am freezing green beans this year. There are a few steps that need to be taken when freezing green beans:
  • Wash

  • Trim the ends and cut beans into small pieces. I just snap in half.

  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

  • Have a bowl of ice water ready.

  • Carefully put the beans in to the water and boil for 3 minutes.

  • Strain and transfer beans to ice water for several minutes to cool down

  • Lay beans out on cookie sheet and stick the pan in the freezer for an hour or so. This is optional, but it makes it easier to pull out smaller portions of the beans.

  • Place beans in freezer bag, remove air from bag and keep in freezer.


How do you preserve green beans?


Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than those small tender ones, thanks for the great tips on freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been considering doing this with green beans that we purchase from our local farmers market. I do have a question... (and it may be a silly one, but I am novice when it comes to preparing fresh food)

    How do you prepare them after they are frozen, when you want to eat them? Do you steam them? Boil them? etc.

    Thanks and just want to say that I have followed your blog for a while, but I think this is the first time I have responded! :)

    Rachel
    http://livingbetteronedayatatime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - No question is silly. I was planning on cooking my frozen garden green beans just like I would cook frozen green beans that I buy in the store. I lightly steam to heat the whole way through, but I don't over-cook because I like a crunchier green bean. I put the beans in a sauce pan and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, cover and bring to a boil then reduce heat for a few minutes depending on the amount of green beans that I am cooking. I might even use in stir-fries.

    thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.