Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Calling All Gardeners: What's Wrong with My Raspberries


I bought some raspberry plants at a yard sale in May 2010. They survived last summer even though they were practically overrun by some other viney plants, but they didn't produce any fruit. I wasn't alarmed, because they were transplants, but I did have big plans for them this summer.

I was hopeful early on because there were many blooms, but they have all dried up and disappeared. The canes look fairly healthy and they have been growing rapidly all summer, but the few blooms left are drying up too. It has been very dry here since June and I have been watering the plants when I water my very productive square foot garden. Perhaps I'm not watering the raspberries enough?


So, I need some help from the amazing gardeners that visit and read this blog. You are always so helpful when I ask for help solving my gardening woes.

Why are my raspberry blooms drying up or disappearing when the canes look so healthy? Is it from under-watering? Is it too early to expect fruit after transplanting the canes last summer? Did I cause this when I cut the canes down to the ground last fall?

Any advice on raspberry gardening and the answers to my questions will be helpful to me and the other readers here at Family Balance Sheet. Thanks so much!


Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:



This post is linked to Garden Party Tuesday at An Oregon Cottage.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your raspberries. I don't know what the answer is, but you might try looking around here:

    http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/links.html

    Cornell University's plant pathology department--they may have some answers for you.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea @ The Greenbacks GalAugust 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM

    I'll be returning to see the answer! I just went to water one of my new canes this am and it has completely died back. All the other are fine. ???? You have a great garden! Very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Athena - Thanks for the link. I'll go check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know from having raspberries in our yard in Michigan that the first-year canes don't produce; the second-year ones usually do; and after they've produced they need to be trimmed back. Ours took a few years to get established, they were transplanted from my parents' yard. But I don't know why they're dying - sorry to hear this! :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.