Monday, August 8, 2011

Chicken Tabbouleh Salad


This is a refreshing salad that uses a lot of summer vegetables. This recipe has been in my recipe binder for years and I only recently tried it when I had a lot of cucumbers and grape tomatoes that needed to be eaten. I used pre-cooked shredded chicken that I had in the freezer making it very easy to pull together, but the bulgur wheat does take an hour to cook.

Chicken Tabbouleh Salad
adapted from Ina Garten
  • 1 ½ homemade chicken stock, or store bought
  • 1 cup bulgur wheat
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 cup chopped red or sweet white onion
  • 1 cup chopped parsley
  • ½ - 1 cup chopped mint
  • 1 cucumber, chopped
  • 2 cups halved grape tomatoes

Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Pour the boiling stock over the bulgur wheat in a heat proof bowl. Add the lemon juice and olive oil and cover. Let stand at room temperature for at least an hour.

In a large bowl, add the chicken, onion, parsley, mint, cucumber, tomatoes, pepper, salt, pepper and the bulgur. Mix together. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.

The next time I make this salad, I am going to add a chopped red bell pepper for some added crunch. If salad is drier than you would like, mix in additional 1 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 Tbsp olive oil.

Enjoy!

Print recipe for Chicken Tabbouleh Salad

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:



This post is linked to: $5 Dinner Challenge and Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam and Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop

1 comment:

  1. This salad sounds delicious! I think I'll try it with couscous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.