Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vegetable Freezer Bags for Homemade Chicken Stock | Kitchen Economics


Roasted chicken in one of my all time favorite meals. And if I'm roasting a chicken then you can be certain that I will also make a batch of homemade chicken stock. I cook with it quite a bit and try to keep it in my freezer at all times.


Homemade chicken stock is super easy to make and you'll find step-by-step instructions on how to roast a chicken, how to make your own chicken stock, and some additional recipes for the roasted chicken leftovers in my latest post at Money Crashers, How to Roast a Whole Chicken - 4 Recipes to Save Time and Money.

As I wrote in the article, I stock up on whole roasting chickens when they are on sale. A few weeks ago, Aldi had a great sale on 3 main ingredients in my chicken stock recipe: 2 lb. bag of carrots for 79 cents, 3 lb. bag of onions for 99 cents, and one celery stock for 79 cents.


Those are some pretty good prices, so I took advantage of the sale. I cleaned and chopped up the vegetables and divided them into 6 freezer bags. Each bag has the portions that I need for one batch of stock: 1 quartered onion, 2-3 carrots and 2-3 celery stalks. I cut the carrots and celery into large chunks to fit into the bag. The cost of each bag totals 43 cents.


When it's time to make stock, I'll dump the contents of one bag into my crock pot, along with the chicken carcass, salt, pepper, parsley from my garden, and garlic. It really is that easy.

Do you make your own chicken stock? Do you shop at Aldi? Let us know in the comments.


Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
Follow Me on Pinterest

This post is linked to Frugal Friday at Life as MOM and Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways at Frugally Sustainable.

4 comments:

  1. What size slow cooker do you use? How many cups of broth do you end up getting per batch? Thanks for the great tip! About a month ago, I made a batch for the first time, but unsure if I had the ratio of water to other ingredients correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen - I believe my crockpot (in the above pic) is 6 qt. I get about 4 quarts of stock. I fill the crock pot up with the chicken bones, parts, etc, veggies, and herbs and cover completely with water and cook overnight. Check out the Money Crashers post for more complete details.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I make my own chicken stock all the time. I have a smaller stockpot that I use. We collect the bones from whole chickens and chicken thighs plus I collect veggie peelings (onion, carrot, parsley, and celery), all in the freezer. When we're running low on the stock supply in the freezer, I just make another batch.

    I don't shop at Aldi's simply because it's a bit farther away for me. However, one of my sils love to shop there, and it helps her grocery bill a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi's is right down the street from my house and they have great produce deals. This week, avocados are 59 cents. crazy good deal!

      Delete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.