Monday, March 2, 2009

Pizza Dough

I love to cook and would much prefer to eat something homemade then made from a box. Homemade food tastes better to me and my family and a lot of the time the meals are healthier and less expensive than their store made, processed counterparts. Make It Yourself Monday gives me a chance to experiment with some recipes that I might not have tried before.

We are a pizza-lovin' family, but for some reason we usually order our pizza out. This weekend I decided to try my hand at making pizza dough and found that it was surprisingly easy. I found this pizza dough recipe from Bon Appetit magazine and it was really easy to make. I used my food processor and it did all of the work for me. After the hour it took for the dough to rise, we rolled the dough out on a pizza stone and garnished with mozzarella cheese, fresh tomatoes, broccoli and garlic powder. My 3 year old helped me put the veggies on top. I then baked the pizza in a 475 degree oven for about 15 minutes until the cheese was melted and the bottom was baked through.

Our pizza before the we put it in the oven



Dinner is ready...our homemade pizza was very yummy!!



We all loved our homemade pizza and it didn't cost us $10-$15 that we would have spent from a pizza shop. I had all of these ingredients in my pantry and fridge so it made our "night in" very affordable.

Do you make your own pizza? What are your favorite pizza toppings?

Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. If you don't already receive FBS free updates, please click here to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.