Monday, May 4, 2009

Chocolate cupcakes

I love to cook and would much prefer to eat something homemade then made from a box. Homemade food tastes better to me and my family and a lot of the time the meals are healthier and less expensive than their store made, processed counterparts. Make It Yourself Monday gives me a chance to experiment with some recipes that I might not have tried before.

It is no secret that my family has developed a cupcake habit. Recently for a play date, dd#1 and I made chocolate cupcakes from a chocolate cake recipe that my mom has been using forever. Most of my birthday cakes growing up were this recipe. Enjoy!




Mix together:
1/2 cup crisco oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
Add 3/4 cocoa powder followed by 1 cup hot coffee

Pour batter into paper cupcake cups. Makes 12-24 depending on the amount of batter. Fill about 1/2 full. I put too much in and some baked over.
Preheat oven at 375, bake for 25-45 minutes depending on size of pan and your oven. I baked about 25 minutes for the cupcakes. Do the toothpick test to see if done in middle.

Icing
2 cups 10X sugar
1 egg white
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup crisco
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat egg white, add 1 C 10x sugar and beat together. Add second cup 10x and the rest of the ingredients and beat until light and fluffy. Ice the cake after it has cooled and with the icing at room temp.

We decorated our cupcakes with leftover Easter sprinkles that just happen to be all of my daughters favorite colors ;)


Other MIYM recipes that you might enjoy:






Strawberry cupcakes








Grammy's sugar cookies





If you enjoyed this post, please click here to receive for FREE updates.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.