Saturday, June 27, 2009

My first broccoli harvest


I feel like a new mother all over again. I planted broccoli for the first time this spring and I harvested it this week. I received the free tiny broccoli plants when I took a gardening seminar at a local nursery back in May. My daughter and I excitedly planted them, because broccoli is a staple at our house. We had steamed broccoli with our dinner a couple of times this week. It was delicious, but I think I especially liked it because it came from our garden.

This picture was taken on June 10th. I didn't realize how big the leaves get. They are actually blocking one of my tomato plants from the sun. I planted them too close together when I didn't realize the eventual size of the broccoli.

Besides the broccoli, I have 5 tomato plants, 1 sweet pepper plant, 1 jalapeno plant and various herbs. I also planted 2 blueberry plants. I don't plant too much because we don't have a lot of space and we get most of veggies from a CSA.

How is your garden doing? What have you harvested this week?

Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet. If you don't already receive FBS free updates, please click here to sign up.






1 comment:

  1. Now I am wondering if the one plant (broccoli or cauliflower) that survived the bunny attack is actually broccoli and not cauliflower like I thought. It looks like your leaves.
    I also have tomatoes, peas, zucchini. I actually did my post today on my garden. How funny. Mine is not ready to harvest though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.