Monday, May 10, 2010

Chicken Stuffed with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta

If you haven't noticed by now, sun-dried tomatoes are a staple in my kitchen. That is because I buy an 8 oz. container of them without oil, because they are cheaper that way, and I can get several different recipes from that one container. I use them in my hummus, Chicken Parmesan with Sun-Dried Tomato sauce, Turkey Sausage, Arugula and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta and now for my stuffed chicken.

Chicken Stuffed with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta

  • 6 sun-dried tomatoes, soften in warm water for a few minutes and drain
  • 10 oz box frozen spinach, thaw and squeeze out all of the water
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup feta
  • 4 chicken breasts, flattened to 1/2 inch thick
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 cup homemade chicken stock, store bought is fine too
  • 1 Tbsp flour
  • 2 Tbsp water

Mix the sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and garlic in a food processor.

Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and mix in the feta.


Spread the feta mixture on each of the flattened chicken breasts.


Fold the chicken breasts up and hold together with bamboo skewers or toothpicks.


Heat olive oil in a large skillet at medium heat and add the chicken breasts. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on one side. Use tongs and carefully turn the chicken to the other side to cook for 3-4 minutes. The chicken will not be cooked all the way through, especially around the skewers.

You will probably need to cook the chicken in batches. Four breasts with skewers will be very tight in the pan.


Spray a baking pan with non-stick spray and transfer the chicken to that pan. Cover pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.


To make a pan sauce: Add the chicken stock to the skillet where you cooked the chicken and heat at medium-high heat. Scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pan as you stir as this will add flavor to the sauce.


Mix together the flour and water until smooth and add to the stock. Stir until the flour mixture and stock are combined and smooth. Simmer for about 8 minutes and the sauce should thicken, stirring occasionally. Spoon sauce over the chicken to serve.

Enjoy!

Thanks for reading FamilyBalanceSheet.

If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS through your RSS Feed, please click here to sign up. Or sign up for FREE email updates, by submitting your email address in the top left side of this site. Or click here to follow on Twitter.

This post is linked to:

12 comments:

  1. Ooh... what's not to like about this one?? I haven't cooked a dish with sun-dried tomatoes for way too long. This looks delicious- thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my! That looks so good! I love stuff that's a bit more gourmet. Unfortunately, I don't have time to make stuff like that very often anymore. I will be trying this though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really yummy! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori - this looks and tastes gourmet, but it really doesn't take long to put together.

    Thanks everyone for all of the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally drooling. I need to stock up on some sun dried tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made this before, but never thought to add sundried tomatoes. I'll have to get some soon because this looks amazing.

    --KB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love sun-dried tomatoes and feta and both of them combined stuffed in chicken...yummy! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn it... I cooked a chicken breast last night. Wish I would have seen this post before that happened. Next time!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish looks like a keeper for my Family would love this. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    I'm now a Follower of your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The chicken looks absolutely delicious. Will have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, this recipe sounds so good! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for all of the comments!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.