Monday, January 31, 2011

Smashed Garlic Parmesan Potatoes


I also call these Lazy Garlic Parmesan Potatoes, because I leave the skins on. To be honest, I don't think I have ever peeled a potato.

Smashed Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
  • 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, cleaned, skins can be left on, cut into quarters
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • ¼ Cup Parmesan
  • 2-4 Tbsp. sour cream
1. Place the potatoes and garlic in a large soup pot and cover with water, at least 1 inch above the potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil. Add the salt. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until a fork can pierce easily through potato. About 30 minutes.

2. Carefully strain potatoes from water, but reserve about a cup of the potato water.

3. Place cooked potatoes and garlic in a large bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of sour cream, ¼ cup Parmesan and a couple of tablespoons of potato water and smash using a potato smasher. Add more sour cream and potato water to get to your desired consistency.

Tip - Rinse the potato smasher right away. It is not an easy tool to clean once the potatoes have dried.

I love Smashed Potatoes with pan sauce or gravy. On this night I served the smashed potatoes with Chicken Stuffed with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta. But the potatoes are just as delicious without gravy and go very well with Turkey and Veggie Loaf. With these smashed potatoes as a side dish, the menu possibilities are endless.

Print this recipe.

If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
This post is linked to:

4 comments:

  1. Mashed potatoes are one of my all-time favorite comfort foods! I've never made them with garlic before -but I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!!!

    I found your site over at Beauty and Bedlam. Come check out my Chocolate Caramel Gooey Bars! So good.

    I also have a LOVE DARE starting today where you can link up (challenge till Valentine's Day).

    I'm now following you too.

    Love,
    Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I made some garlic mashed potatoes the other night and posted on it. Love it!!! Having them for dinner tonight

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mashed potatoes and this simple recipe sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.