Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stock Up & Save With Pre-Holiday Grocery Sales | Kitchen Economics Link Up

Easter is four days away and I can smell my mom's baked ham now. Divine.


The 2-3 weeks leading up to most holidays is a great time to stock up on seasonal food, especially meat. In my sales circulars this week, prices for hams range from 79 cents a pound to $2.49/pound, depending on the type and cut you desire; some of the prices are 50% off of the normal price. This week, I'm buying a boneless ham at advertised at $1.69/lb, that is less than half price. I'll bake the ham and freeze for future meals.

We should see some great deals on ground beef, hot dogs and all of the fixings for picnics right before the summer holidays: Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day.

Of course Thanksgiving is the best time to buy turkeys. I think the best deal I have ever seen was 25 cents a pound, but the limit was one turkey per customer card (Boo!). The 2 weeks leading to Thanksgiving are a bargain shoppers dream. You'll find deals on just about everything that is included in a turkey dinner. I stock up my freezer, pantry and I like to buy extra to donate to the food bank.

Christmas is also a good time to buy turkeys, hams and baking ingredients. I recently used the last of the 5 lb bags of flour that I got for 99 cents each last year. I went through that stash fast with my Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day addiction. And right before New Year's, you'll see great deals on shrimp, seafood, and pork.

Are you taking advantage of the Easter holiday grocery deals right now? What other holiday bargains do you stock up on? Let us know in the comments.

What cost cutting tip do you have for the kitchen? Join the link up below.

Welcome to the Kitchen Economics Link Up ~ Cost Cutting Tips to Help You Save Money in the Kitchen. A few Link Up guidelines:
  • Please link a your cost-cutting kitchen tip. If you are not a blogger, please let us know your tip in the comment section.
  • Please post the link to your tip post, NOT to your homepage. To do this, click on your tip post, copy and paste the whole url address into the Link up widget.
  • I also ask that you post a link back to Family Balance Sheet in your article or grab the badge that is in the top left of the site.
  • If you are reading this post via a reader or email, you will need to click through to post your link and to visit others who have linked up.
I'm looking forward to reading your tips and saving some money in the kitchen.



Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.