Monday, April 18, 2011

Oatmeal ~ A Quick, Healthy & Inexpensive Breakfast


We take breakfast very seriously at our house. It is the first thing that I think about in the morning and I have passed that on to my kids.

When my oldest was about 2, we noticed that she was possibly developing pink eye as we were putting her to bed one night. I didn't sleep well that night, certain that my daughter was going to wake up screaming because she would be unable to open her eyes. Morning came and we heard her yelling, "I want faffle, mama, I want faffle". When I went to get her, she was standing in her crib, with her eyes pasted completely shut from pink eye and all she could think about was her favorite waffles for breakfast...that's my girl.

One of our favorite breakfasts is hot oatmeal. It is so easy to make and easy to adapt to your taste. It makes for a very hearty breakfast. When my kids eat it in the morning, I don't worry that they are going to be starving in about an hour.

It is also relatively inexpensive. A 42 oz container of name brand oatmeal has about 30 (1/2 dry) servings and costs about $3.69, which calculates to about 12 cents a serving. This would go down even more if you buy the oatmeal on sale and with a coupon, or buy the store brand. Price dictates whether or not I buy Quaker Oats or the store brand. I have not noticed a difference in taste or quality between the two.

Hot Oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup milk - This is where you can be creative with almond milk, coconut milk or soy.
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp wheat germ (optional)
  • your favorite dried fruit, frozen fruit or fresh fruit. My favorite topping is frozen blueberries.
Mix oats, milk, honey, cinnamon and wheat germ in a bowl. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. Stir well. Oatmeal will be very hot, Mix in the toppings and a splash more milk if the oatmeal is too thick.

Enjoy!

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.