Monday, June 20, 2011

Sausage and Swiss Chard Frittata


Frittatas are so easy to whip up. They are also an opportunity to be creative and clear out your refrigerator all at once.

We received the Swiss chard in our CSA box last week and I had some breakfast sausage in the freezer that I wanted to use up. This frittata was so savory and delicious that my 5 year old asked for a second helping. And even my 3 year old, who was pretty sure she wasn't going to like it, gobbled it up.


Sausage and Swiss Chard Frittata
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • ½ red onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 lb sausage, casings removed. Use your favorite variety. I used turkey, breakfast sausage.
  • ½ - 1 full bunch Swiss chard, washed, dried, chopped fine.
  • 6 large eggs
  • ¾ cup Parmesan
  • ½ cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • ¼ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion and sausage. Break up the sausage into tiny pieces as it cooks. Cook sausage completely. Add Swiss chard and cover. Cook to wilt in about 3 minutes. Pour sausage mixture into a 9-inch pie plate prepared with non-stick cooking spray.

In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, Parmesan, milk, flour, salt and pepper. Whisk completely. Pour over the sausage mixture in the pie plate.

Bake for 30 minutes or until eggs are set.



I served with a garden salad, fruit and fresh artisan bread.

Print recipe for Sausage and Swiss Chard Frittata.

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:


This post is linked to $5 Dinner Challenge and Tasty Tuesday and Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I shared this wonderful recipe on my Wednesday links. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I have a couple of Swiss Chard plants growing in the "greens" raised bed, and this recipe comes at an opportune time, I just wondering what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice... I have a couple of Swiss Chard plants in my "greens" raised bed, and just thinking about what do with them besides fresh salads.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.