Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Buttermilk Substitute | Kitchen Economics



Don't you hate when a recipe calls for an ingredient that you don't currently have on hand. If you buy it, you're likely to not finish it. That is how I feel when I see buttermilk on a recipe. It only comes in a quart container at my grocery store which is way more than the 1 cup that my intended recipes usually require.

I discovered a trick when I was baking my mother's Chocolate Whoopie Pie recipe for the first time. It calls for sour milk. Perplexed, I called my mom, "sour milk?, what is that?"

"Your great grammy's term for buttermilk", she replied. And now I know how to make buttermilk.

For every cup of buttermilk that you need, combine 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar and enough milk to equal one cup. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.

Easy...and no more waste!

Do you have any food substitutions to share? Let us know in the comments.


Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:

Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I buy powdered buttermilk in bulk (3 packs) from Amazon. Once you open a can you just shove it in the fridge for almost forever. I've never had one go bad. It's a good purchase to make if you use a lot of buttermilk. I make and freeze homemade pancakes every Sunday for my 3 year old and make my own ranch dressing. So it makes sense for me and my family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.