Monday, December 12, 2011

Chocolate Whoopie Pies



There's a fight a brewin' and it has to do with the Whoopie Pie. Pennsylvania and Maine have both claimed to be the inventor of this delectable cookie. I was born on an Air base in northern Maine, but I was raised in PA where my heart and home are...so I'm taking PA's side.

There are other versions of the Whoopie Pie - pumpkin, red velvet, peanut butter. They are all delicious, but I love the chocolate version. I grew up enjoying them often since my mom makes Chocolate Whoopie Pies quite a bit. She usually has a stash in her freezer as they are my family's favorite treat.

Chocolate Cookies
  • 1 Cup shortening
  • 2 Cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 cup sour milk - combine 1 Tbsp white vinegar and enough milk to make one cup
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 4 1/2 Cups flour
  • 2/3 cup Cocoa
  • 1/2 tsp salt
1. Combine the baking soda, baking powder, flour, cocoa, salt and set aside.

2. In a separate bowl, cream the Crisco, sugar and eggs together. Slowly add the hot water and sour milk and mix until just combined.

3. Slowly add the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until just combined.I use an ice cream scoop to make cookies of a consistent size. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

Filling
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3 tsp vanilla
  • 6 Tbsp. milk
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/2 Cups shortening
  • 5 1/2 Cups confectioners sugar
1. Using the wire whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff. Add other ingredients and mix until well combined.

2. Once the chocolate cookies are cool, spread the filling between two cookies.

This recipe will make about 30 Whoopie pies, depending on the size of your cookies. The Whoopie Pies freeze well, but place a piece of wax paper between to prevent sticking.

Have you ever had a Chocolate Whoopie Pie? Let us know in the comments.

Print recipe for Chocolate Whoopie Pies.

This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam and Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as MOM.

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:

Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in LaGrange, IN where there is a large Amish community. Whoopie Pies are one of their specialties. I had them often as a kid. The recipe that I have came from an Amish lady, and she used real lard instead of shortening.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.