Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My (almost) Square Foot Garden

The weather this past weekend was gorgeous, so I took advantage of it and finally planted my vegetable and herb garden.

I converted to a square foot garden in 2010 and it really changed the way that I garden. It is an efficient way of gardening. If you haven't read the book, Square Foot Gardening, I highly suggest you check out the book from your library. I ended up buying the book and I refer to it quite often.

I referred to my garden notes from 2011 to plan this year.


I made my list and headed to the nursery with a $10 off $30 purchase coupon in hand.


I planted 3 Roma tomatoes, 1 grape tomato, 1 sweet pepper, 1 jalapeno, carrots, green beans, and many herbs. I also bought butternut squash to plant on my vertical trellis along with a cantaloupe. That was a last minute decision inspired by the selection at the nursery.


From this picture, the garden looks a little anemic, but I assure you that there are plants and seeds in my box. The bigger plants in the lower right corner are perennial herbs that survived our mild winter. This is the first year that parsley, oregano, and thyme came back for me.

I also need to find Lemon Verbena, an herb that I love to plant. This nursery was out and it makes a great addition to homemade iced tea.

So why (almost) Square Foot Garden? I didn't do a grid this year and you are supposed to have a grid to make it an official SFG. I couldn't find my masking tape that I use to grid the box and I was not about to run to the store for masking tape. I eyeballed it this year and I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

Did you plant your vegetable garden yet? Did you plant anything new and interesting this year? Let us know in the comments.

For more information check out the book, All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.

Thanks for reading. If you would like to receive FREE updates of FBS, there are four ways to do so:
Follow Me on Pinterest

Disclosure: I am an Amazon Associate, and if you make a purchase through my link, I earn a small percentage--at no cost to you! Thanks for supporting Family Balance Sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Family Balance Sheet and taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from readers.